How to Maintain a Healthy Gut During the Summer
Summertime is headed our direction which, for the majority of people, means sunshine fun and treasured PTO time. Before hitting the beach or hopping on a plane to go on your next great adventure, don’t forget to have a plan to maintain healthy habits that will add a boost to your digestive health. With temperatures and exhaustion on the rise, your intestinal health is likely to take a beating over the summer. At Gastroenterology Consultants, our GI specialists strive to offer you the service and education you need and deserve in order to benefit from a healthy digestive system. Flip the proverbial page as our Houston, TX team walks you through the basics on the best ways to maximize your gut health over the summer.
What is it about summer that is hard on gut health?
The summer months are known to be brutal on your gut wellness, making a healthy gut have trouble and any existing GI situations worse. Some of the primary factors that can lead to poor gut health and troubling gastrointestinal symptoms, like constipation, diarrhea, vomiting and nausea, are:
- Dehydration: High temps translate to your body consuming fluids to keep cool at a faster rate, and you may not be up to speed with replenishing lost fluids.
- Lack of consistent eating habits: Often, if you are traveling or indulging in summer treats, it can prove difficult to think ahead to plans for a nutritious meal.
- Fatigue: Summer functions might leave you running low on energy, which ultimately impacts your gut health.
If you suffer from an existing gastrointestinal problem, the choice to watch your summer months carefully can mean the deciding factor between summer months spent in optimal fun and a vacation spent in pain. To learn additional information regarding ways you can manage your specific GI condition, contact any one of our skilled gastroenterologists in Houston, TX.
How does one sustain good digestive health during the summertime?
With some thoughtful planning, a person can ensure a healthy gut during the summer months. Enjoy your vacations or relaxing beach days, comfortable in the knowledge that you’re taking measures to ensure your gut has a fabulous time. A partial list of the simplest ways you can keep up your summertime health are:
- Drink water: Stay hydrated, specifically if you’re spending time in the sun and sweating. Dehydration may cause constipation, amidst additional troublesome digestive problems.
- Eat fiber-rich foods: Add some dark green vegetables and get some delicious summer fruits to your diet to keep up your fiber intake, which helps with digestion.
- Try probiotics: Your digestive system holds a distinct level of helpful bacteria. One way you can powercharge your digestive health is by supporting those good bacteria with probiotic foods and supplements.
- Meal plan for your health: All of those summertime treats like barbeque, soda, and ice cream can be enjoyable in limited quantities, but always try to plan for healthy dinners to avoid forcing your digestive system into overdrive.
- Get a reasonable amount exercise: Stay aware of any extreme humidity or heat watches, but a casual jog around your the neighborhood/area while the sun sets is a fabulous way to enusre your gut stays active.
When should you consult with a specialist about digestive health?
If you have to deal with any of the below listed symptoms consistently during your summer celebrations, it is time to seek a Gastroenterology Consultants doctor to identify and treat the cause as soon as possible:
- Pain in your abdominal area
- Persistent diarrhea
- Difficulty passing stool
- Persistent heartburn
If you suffer fom blood in your stool, you should seek a gastroenterologist in Houston, TX as soon as possible.
Keep a healthy summertime digestive system
The summer months often push your digestive system to labor excessively to make sure your body stays healthy and in gear. Treat your gut well over the summer break, and make sure to maintain healthy habits that will keep you partying strong until the end of August. Should you need help or support managing a gastrointestinal condition during the summer months, don’t delay in reaching out to our office to find a GI physician in Houston, TX. Our physician-led network of gastrointestinal physicians strives to provide patient-centric treatment to individuals exactly like you. Connect with Gastroenterology Consultants as soon as you can to discover more.