Colitis in Houston, TX
Ready to Consult a GI Physician?Find a Provider
What is colitis?
Colitis is a disorder marked by inflammation in the inner lining of the large intestine. Though ulcerative colitis is often called colitis, these are in fact two separate things. There are several different kinds of this condition that may cause inflammation in the digestive tract, as well as other related problems. A number of common types of colitis:
- Infectious colitis (food poisoning): A result of ingestion of bacteria and viruses
- Ulcerative colitis (IBD colitis): Causes irritation and inflammation of the digestive tract
- Microscopic colitis: Results in frequent watery diarrhea
- Ischemic (ischaemic) colitis: An effect of insufficient blood supply
The skilled providers at Gastroenterology Consultants are here to treat many types of colitis and additional GI problems. If you need to find assistance for colitis in Houston, TX or to explore available care choices, we encourage you to arrange a consultation at our practice now.
What causes colitis?
A number of different diseases and causes may be responsible for colitis. A number of the most common reasons are:
- IBD (inflammatory bowel disease)
- Certain nonprescription and prescription medications (typical medicines bringing on colitis are nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) and mycophenolate
- Reduction of blood supply to the colon (ischemia)
- Crohn's disease
- Invasion of the intestinal wall with collagen or white blood cells
- Infection (from parasites invading the colon)
No matter the cause of your colitis, you can consult with a specialist at Gastroenterology Consultants who will treat your illness.
What are the signs of colitis?
There are numerous symptoms to indicate you have colitis, including:
- Red, inflamed eyes
- Pain in/of the joints or colon (abdomen) that may happen in cycles or be persistent
- Diarrhea (with or without blood in the stool)
- Fever and/or chills (signs of infection)
- Mouth sores
- Blood in the feces
- Out of the ordinary bathroom habits (including persistent need to eliminate waste)
- Rapid weight loss
- Tenderness in the abdomen
- Sores on the large bowel
In the event that you are experiencing any of the listed problems on a regular basis, we encourage you to reach out to us and receive care from our group of Houston, TX digestive specialists.
What are some treatments for colitis?
For any type of colitis, treatments commonly consist of:
- Administering fluids to the body (orally or intravenously)
- Modifications to your diet
- Common inflammatory bowel disease drugs
- Pain-relieving medications
- Stabilization of vital signs
Depending on the cause of the colitis, intervention choices could vary.
- Ischemic colitis: The primary intervention for ischemic colitis is to rehydrate your body with IV therapy and stick with a clear liquid diet. In the event that blood flow is not improved to the colon, then a surgical operation may be recommended to remove those parts of the large intestine that lost blood circulation.
- Infections: When bacteria is the cause of infection, then antibiotics may be prescribed. When the problem is the result of a virus, then keeping the body hydrated and letting time pass are normally the recommended methods to alleviate your colitis.
- Microscopic colitis: In certain instances, the body is capable of healing itself. It might also be addressed with anti-diarrheal medication and some steroid drugs, alterations to dietary intake, and in rare cases, surgery.
- IBD: If the reason for the inflammation is a consequence of ulcerative colitis or Crohn's disease, then anti-inflammatory medicines may be recommended to start with and medications that suppress the immune system might be required if needed. A surgical procedure could be necessary depending on the severity of the colitis.
When should I see a physician for colitis?
If you have noticed blood in your stool, are suffering from dehydration or fever, have had persistent diarrhea for more than two weeks, or have severe stomach discomfort that's getting worse with time, then we recommend you contact a gastroenterologist as soon as possible. When you are searching for a physician to work with you to treat or manage colitis, then you can locate a skilled gastrointestinal doctor at Gastroenterology Consultants.
Qualified care for colitis
The providers at Gastroenterology Consultants strive to stay at the forefront of new and advanced treatments for colitis and other GI conditions, offering comprehensive care to improve the well-being of our patients. To receive individualized colitis care in Houston, TX, please arrange a consultation with our GI providers.
Each and every visit with Dr. Raj have been enlightening and reassuring. I have all confidence in Dr. Raj. He shares his medical expertise in a way that relieves me of concern of my condition as long as I’m under his care.
I loved that they didn't take to long to be called after the time of the appointment also he is the real Dr that shows up also explain to me in the matter that I could understand and excellent in being bilingual and the office very clean and he's very polite n handsome Loved it
I had a great appointment with Dr. Darmadi on discussing medical issues.
They are very professional and they treat you like you were at home .
You guys help me take better control of my liver and the staff is outstanding